Friday, November 30, 2012

Hung Zhu, The Red Piggy






Inspired by my time in Taiwan, and coupled with my utter disdain for spending time in the plastic mobile coffins, I have decided to get a scooter here in LA. Yes yes yes.
I know that after being auto free for the past 5 years while living in Chicago, that I must eventually get a car, but for the time being, this is my little red horse.

While in Taiwan, I spent about ten days on the islands southernmost point, a beautiful surfers paradise called Kenting. After checking into my hotel,  I made a life long friend, Kil’in who told me that I would not be able to rent a scooter without an international license. I had witnessed scooters run amok in Taipei and spent a lot of time on the back of one (yes, some poor soul, had me on the bitch seat of their scooter) and badly wanted one. This international license thing wouldn’t stop me. (nor would the fact that I didn’t even have my actual license with me, just my Illinois state ID card).  On my second day there, I took a cab to the  National Museum of Marine Biology and Acquarium, which as a side note, was better and more comprehensive than even Shedd’s Aquarium in Chicago. During the course of the 30 min trip there, I made friends with the cab driver (obviously) and told him if he found me a scooter I would give him $400 NT (new Taiwanese dollars, about $13 US) a day for the next 10 days if he found me a scooter. He rented me his, and I gave him my ID card as a hold. Cruising the lonely beach, mountain and country roads on this little beast was invigorating and I immediately fell in love.

Fast Forward to LA. I am perusing Craigslist looking for the perfect scooter. Something with style substance and power. Everything I am finding looks rather dull and I become discouraged. A friend is sitting next to me in the room during this search, and suggests I type in “hipster bike” in the search engine. The only thing that came up is the beautiful red bike you see before you here. A 1967 Honda CT90. I LOVE LOVE. I love the Summer of Love. I love the 60’s. And I immediately knew I had to have this bike. So I called the ad and scheduled an appointment. I drove down past Long Beach almost into Orange County on a lazy Saturday and knew right away the bike was mint, as the house we pulled up in had about 4 stereo typical SoCal white dudes (shorts, jacked up white socks, vans, flat brimmed hats) sitting outside a garage and restoring an array of old caddies, bikes and even a Packard. Took it for a spin. Beautifully epic. Now all I need is a name.

I whats apped (the best free international texting app) my friend Kil’in a picture of the bike, and told him that I wanted a name in mandarin because the purchase was inspired by my travels there. He sent me a few options, but there was only one that made sense: Hung Zhu. You want a ride on my hung zoo? All jokes aside he told me it translated into “red piggy” and a legend was born. So internet world, I introduce you to Hung Zhu.

Now I just have to figure out which cool LA scooter gang I am going to join.



No comments:

Post a Comment